The MWR degree program is one of the Western Regional Graduate (also known as the WICHE program) programs which allows graduates from the participating 14 western states to enroll at New Mexico resident tuition rates.  Participating states are: AK, AZ, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV, NM, ND, SD, OR, UT, WA and WY. Residents of these states can enroll in the MWR degree program at New Mexico resident tuition rates. A separate application to the WRP is not necessary, but the Director should be notified of your status.

Students taking fewer than 7 credits per semester are charged New Mexico resident tuition rates, regardless of their residency status. Many students who cannot qualify for resident tuition use this approach and apply for New Mexico resident status after establishing residency.  Consult the criteria for determining residency in the UNM Catalog ( and click on “Catalog”).

The Water Resources Program does not offer Teaching Assistantships (TAs).  However, on occasion, Research Assistantships (RAs) are available to appropriately-qualified MWR students. In addition, the WRP sometimes has fellowships, work-study positions, or internships available. Students are encouraged to keep a brief (2-3 pages) up-to-date curriculum vitae in their files in the WRP office so the Director may effectively match them with internship/employment opportunities.

Individual faculty sometimes have hourly-wage positions or RAs available for students who wish to work in their labs, on research projects, etc. Internships are often available with government agencies such as the City of Albuquerque, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), Bernalillo County, New Mexico Environment Department, Office of the State Engineer, etc. The WRP Office makes every effort to apprise students of these opportunities. Notifications are almost always sent via e-mail, so it is imperative that students read their electronic mail on a regular basis.

Work-study funds are available for qualified students; regular student employment is also available. Information on both programs is at or the Work-Study and Student Employment (277-3511) Office in Mesa Vista Hall 1040 (

The work-study program provides Federal funds to work on campus; the campus hiring unit provides funding as well, usually 30% or so, with the rest provided by the Federal government. Students must qualify for work-study funds.

There are also University-wide fellowships and other aid programs. The Office of Graduate Studies offers a number of financial aid options, including various fellowships: Challenge Assistantships; Graduate Fellowships; Graduate Scholars Program; and Graduate Tuition Fellowships. Application procedures and deadlines for the aforementioned programs vary; a pamphlet describing these programs is available from the OGS. The WRP Office will endeavor to keep students informed of these opportunities, but students can check with the Office of Graduate Studies Financial Aid Coordinator, Ms. Edwina Chavez-Salazar (505-277-2711; Financial aid information can be found at the end of this document and at

Funding for travel and research related to Professional Projects is available from the Graduate and Professional Student Association (GPSA) through the Student Research Allocations Committee (SRAC) grants, which are competitive. Visit for more information. The OGS offers Research, Project and Travel (RPT) grants (visit the OGS website for complete information); deadlines for proposals are generally in late September and January.

Most students live in off-campus housing. A good place to check is the Off-Campus Housing Office at ( Information on UNM residence hall housing is at

Below is a list of scholarship and funding WWW sites.  The first three are very good sites sponsored by graduate departments at UC-Berkeley, NYU and Duke. They are specifically science-related, organized, and include many links. The next seven are specific organizations’ web sites that offer scholarships/funding (note that many other professional societies offer scholarships/fellowships: American Water Resources Association, American Geophysical Union, American Society of Civil Engineers, American Society of Agricultural Engineers, Soil Science Society of America, American Society of Limnology and Oceanography, etc.). The last two WWW sites are clearinghouse/scholarship search sites.